For the last nine week we had been set a new project, my aims within this include me improving my skill in all 3 bases. These include 3D modelling, programming and 2d art. Also the fact of being able to hand in things on time. There have been bumps on the way and some pieces of work were handed in early or behind schedule. Because of work on the weekends getting work done on days off or in college was proven to be crucial.
This is my favourite part of the course. This is because this is the one that I best understand compared to programming, also the one that I enjoy more. For 2d art, its not that I don’t understand how to draw things, i’m just not very good at it.
In this project we were creating what is called a ‘dungeon’ This is something that I was extremely excited about. We modelled things such as doors and object that you would usually see within dungeons. I was going for a ‘safe room’ feel. I was able to achieve this by having smashable objects such as crates and vases. Within games you smash these in order to find hidden health or gold. The reason why it makes me think of a safe room is that there is a tent with a bed. This sort of acts like a check point in the way that you would walk up to it and it would ask ‘would you like to save your progress’.
After creating all of the indoor assets for the dungeon we had created pillars and bricks in which created the foundations for the room. I found this easy and simple both to create and unwrap. This was a path into or out of the dungeon. After everything had been created we had to texture the entire thing, for this we used Photoshop.
The three assets that I chose to put in my modular piece include a vase, table and a tent.
For my character we had to base it off of the theme mythology, personally dragons are the best part, so that’s what I went for. 3d modelling was extremely good practise at creating things but I decided to walk down my own bumpy path by not relating it to a dungeon. So going ahead with the dragon turned out to be successful in the fact that it was easy to make and looks good within the game that I made.
I used a site called Piskel in which you can make any pixel drawing that you want. You can also make some really cool animations. For example you you can toggle an onion skin which means when making a new layer, you can see a faint outline of the previous layer. This makes making animations extremely easy. Another cool feature is that you are able to change the size of the pixel sheet, using mathematical anagrams it will create a pixel board any size of your choice.
In order to make animations work on Unity, you have to create a sprite sheet in which doing so in programmes such as Photoshop can be some what time consuming. But using Piskel works wonders, by this I mean by exporting the animation, it creates a transparent sprite sheet in which you can drag right into your Unity project. This helped with my time management in the fact that I was able to implement animations quicker than most people, giving me more time on other pieces of work.
I drew my background in Photoshop. This was because we were making a prototype game and I was not planning animating it. Also the fact that I can say that I used two different art styles being digital art being drawn by hand, and pixel art on Piskel.
On Photoshop you are able to have touch sensitivity which become an important role when creating a textured background. Doing each step on a different layer is perfect in case you do something wrong, this makes doing the background less time consuming.
Overall the entirety of the 2D art was really fun and being able to learn new techniques along the way has been an absolute pleasure as always. For my FMP I am planning to make A 3D model to a given theme. But using my artistry skills in which I have learnt from 2D art I will be able to implement it as I texture my models.
personally programming has been the worst for me in the fact that most of the code was self taught and copying from sheets. This made my time management extremely stressful being able to stick to is because writing code takes a lot of time. also when errors in the code popped up they took hours to fix as my knowledge in the are was extremely lacking.
Past this I was able to create a platform game in which looks good and plays well. The code was tough to get working but the end prototype was working well. Each lesson we were taught different types of code in which would allow us to implement different assets into out game. For example some of the code that I used was for a health bar the code was called ‘PlayerHealth’ you could attach this to a heath bar which you create with the built in UI in unity.
For implementing other code such as ‘EnemyMovement’ it was easier to watch you tube tutorials because this explains how the code is used and how the code works. I implemented this to my enemy dragon. The code was layed out so that when the enemy hit a wall it would turn around. Because it was a prototype game I didnt get as far as implementing the enemy to shoot objects. I also made it so on contact with the player it would make the player take damage. Also by making the enemy move faster than the player is was almost certain that the player would take some damage at least.
Overall I have learnt a lot from the past 9 weeks in the fact that I made a platform game from scratch whilst most people in the class already had one made form the project before.If I was to improve in one of the bases it would be programming because im still not sure how code works and i can barely understand it. Thankfully I wont have to use it at all during my final major project.
I preferred this assignment more than the previous one because I have learnt and used more techniques. Because of this it has made me more confident with my final major project.